Will, Levi and Max

Will, Levi and Max
Photo by http://ashleysportraits.com/

Friday, December 19, 2008

My first hospital stay!

I had my cerclage two days ago. I was very nervous as I had never stayed in a hospital before. The procedure itself went well. When the numbness started going away it was very painful to the point that I was practically in tears. After a few hours the pain medicine starting working and it was tolerable. I felt pretty good except I kept getting sick and couldn't eat even with Zofran directly in my IV.

A dietitian came in and met with me about how to get the calories I needed. It's so weird that normally you look at calories and can't believe how many there are and may choose not to eat it. I now look at something and get excited if it has a lot of calories! The dietitian told me to eat high fat things like peanut butter and nuts and to eat frequently throughout the day. She also told me I could drink Ensure. It doesn't taste too bad and it helps give me extra calories when there just isn't room to eat!

The following morning the doctor came in and checked the babies which were doing well. He said that I handled the procedure very well and he was surprised I didn't feel more pain. Once I ate breakfast (and could keep it down) I was able to go home. I was also able to get the flu shot before I left. I came home, took a nap and then ate lunch. I couldn't keep it down. As the day progressed I felt worse and worse and eventually started running a fever. It was a horrible day! I was getting sick as a side effect from the spinal anesthesia and I was running a fever as a side effect from the flu shot. Thank goodness that is over. And thanks to my poor husband who had to take care of me in that state! I love you babe!

No comments:

Post a Comment