Will, Levi and Max

Will, Levi and Max
Photo by http://ashleysportraits.com/

Friday, November 16, 2012

Goodbye Tonsils and Adenoids

Max had his Tonsillectomy and Adenoidectomy last Friday.  The surgery itself went well.  He woke up from Anesthesia a lot better than I expected.  He ate several slushies and would not stop talking for the first hour.  He then began to look tired.  After a couple of hours we were able to come home.  I thought he would take a nice nap, but I was wrong.  He ate all day (soft stuff of course).  I thought this was not going to be so bad.  But then the night came!  It has now been a week since his surgery and the longest stretch he has slept has been 5 hours.  Dale and I are exhausted!  He does ok during the day for a while, but then constantly puts his hands over his mouth and says his throat hurts.  It is a huge struggle to get him to take his medicine most of the time which is also exhausting.  My mother-in-law even had to bribe him with a dollar to take his medicine one day.  It is so heartbreaking, but hopefully he will be feeling better soon and that the outcome with outweigh all his current pain.

The night before surgery we gave Max a stuffed monkey in jammies to go to surgery with him.  He calls him "Hospital Monkey".  This worked out very well for him.  Hospital Monkey went with Max to surgery and he got a mask for his anesthesia and medical tape on his foot just like Max.  Hospital Monkey now goes with him everywhere!

Right after surgery


In the recovery room

Max and Hospital Monkey with their masks on!


No comments:

Post a Comment