Will, Levi and Max

Will, Levi and Max
Photo by http://ashleysportraits.com/

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

A rough few months!

I don’t even know where to begin with this post.  It’s long and boring, but about how hectic things have been around here.  It all started about in the beginning of March when Will started running a fever on a Sunday night.  A kid in his class had strep so I assumed he was getting it, but he never once complained of a sore throat, even when I asked.  By the next night Will was covered in a red rash.  I knew immediately it was Scarlet Fever, which of course is from Strep.  I took him to the pediatrician and his throat was so nasty.  The poor kid never even complained of it.  So we started antibiotics and he had to stay home from school again on Wednesday.  By Thursday Levi started with a fever and sore throat.  I called the doctor and she called out antibiotics for him right away.  Friday I started with a sore throat a fever.  I went to the doctor and it was not strep so I had to just let it run its course.  By Sunday I was so miserable.  I had a constant fever that wouldn’t break even with meds and I hadn’t eaten anything because I was in so much pain.   I finally went to urgent care.  I still didn’t have strep but I did have an ear infection.  I was happy to get antibiotics.  By Tuesday I still was not better.  I called my doctor and they had to call out a stronger antibiotic.  I finally broke my fever and started feeling a little better every day.  And not that we haven’t missed school and work enough already it was conveniently Spring Break.  I had a sitter lined up and it decided to snow a foot, but otherwise the week went pretty well.  Monday comes around and I woke up at 2:30 a.m. vomiting which continued throughout the day.  Uggh!  But then it was over.  However the following day Will and Levi had their tonsils and adenoids removed so it was back to taking care of sick kids.  It takes a good 10 days for them to recover from this.  They are miserable, uncomfortable, and very needy.  I was finally ready to send them back to school for a short day the following Wednesday.  But guess what happens?  Will started vomiting.  As if his healing throat wasn’t bad enough for him.  By Friday all seems well.  I pick the boys up from school and we went to my grandparent’s house.  Levi was extremely crabby which is unlike him, especially at Gmama and Gpapa’s.  I thought it was from his first full day back at school and he was just worn out.  As we were leaving Levi projectile vomited all over my grandparent’s house.  No wonder he was so crabby.  Now this poor guy with a sore throat has the flu as well.  He continued this through the night when Max decided to join him.  The next morning Max was fine, but Levi had diarrhea and went through 5 pairs of pants before lunch.  But he is a big boy so we can’t dare convince him to put a pull up on!  We think all is well on Monday.  Levi was whining that his stomach hurt and he didn’t want to go to school.  I didn’t think anything of it because he still was a bit needy from his surgery and being sick.  Before I knew it Levi was vomiting all over the kitchen floor.  I kept him home from school again although he seemed fine after that.  The rest of the week seemed to go well except Levi was still hardly eating.  I was getting worried because he hadn’t really eaten for over 2 weeks now, but thought I would see how the rest of the week went.  Thursday night he seemed to eat pretty well so I was reassured.  Friday morning about 1:30 a.m. Levi started vomiting again.  I decided something was wrong and made him a doctor’s appointment the next morning.  It turns out that it was all just the flu, but that some kid’s stomachs take longer to be able to handle solid food.  And since he had a poor appetite already from his surgery his stomach just couldn’t handle it.  So he received some anti-nausea medicine which seemed to solve the problem.  (Knock on wood!)  So I thought we were in the clear, but very early Saturday morning Will came in our room with a fever and wheezing.  We had to give him a breathing treatment and once I finally got him to take his Tylenol he was ok the rest of the night.  So now that all sickness (hopefully) and surgeries are out of the way we are bombarded with allergy season!  Max has a terrible cough at night and Will is miserable with watery eyes and runny nose and Dale is always miserable this time of year.  So now everyone is taking allergy meds twice a day.  All this illness along with spring being our most busy time at work is why our past 2 months have been hell!  It seems like every time I call my mom she says “what happened now?”  I just want everyone to be healthy!   

No comments:

Post a Comment