Max had his first trip to the ER yesterday morning for an asthma attack. He woke up around 3 a.m. whining and wheezing, but when I was holding him his heart was racing and pounding very hard. He has wheezed before, but never had I felt his heart like that. I called the exchange and a nurse talked me through a rescue treatment with the nebulizer. He had to take three treatments in an hour and then he fell back asleep and was fine. By 6 a.m. he was whining, wheezing and had a rapid heart rate again, but in addition he was acting very weird and his stomach was refluxing almost like he was gagging so we decided it was best to bring him to the ER. When we got there he received another treatment along with steroids and was immediately better. He was discharged home with instruction to do nebulizer treatments every 4 hours and to take an oral steroid for four more days to reduce the swelling of the airways. We got home and it was exactly two hours later when it happened again. I gave him another treatment and by that time the pediatrician called to check on him. She reassured me what to do and that he would be fine by Sunday. We have to keep him indoors and Dale has to shower before playing with the boys. The rest of the day yesterday went fine. We did treatments every 4 hours. I even woke up in the middle of the night, but he was doing so well we were able to skip the 4 a.m. treatment and just give it to him when he woke up. Since Dale and I are going to Jamaica tomorrow, I feel much more relaxed about leaving since he is doing much better already.
Max had not been diagnosed with asthma, but he gets the symptoms of it when he gets a cold. Like I said he has had wheezing before where he needed nebulizer treatments, but it was never like this. I now know what to expect during an asthma attack and will know what to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment