Will, Levi and Max

Will, Levi and Max
Photo by http://ashleysportraits.com/

Thursday, January 22, 2009

A bump in the road.

So Wednesday morning about 3:00 a.m. I woke up to change positions and felt a sharp pain in my right side. I didn't think anything of it at the time because round ligament pain is common at this point in pregnancy. But as I lay there the pain was not going away. Round ligament pain should go away quickly. I got out of bed around 8 a.m. and it hurt to stand up, it hurt to sit down, it just hurt. I hurt my back in May of 2006 and that is what this pain reminded me of, except this time I also felt it in my abdomen. (Maybe I could feel it in my abdomen then, but didn't pay attention to that because I wasn't pregnant.) So I put a message in to the nurse at the doctor's office. Of course it wasn't until around 2:00 p.m. that I finally got a call back, but I was impressed because my actual doctor called me. I explained the pain to him as in my back, in my abdomen, and down my leg all on the right side and that I thought I twinged my back. He was concerned because the pain in my abdomen surround the uterus and thought I could be having contractions or I could be hurting as an after thought to contractions. He instructed me to take 400 m.g. of Ibuprofen every 6 hours for the rest of the day and all day today. If it becomes worse even with the ibuprofen I need to go to labor and delivery at the hospital to get evaluated, if it doesn't get better in the two days I need to call him back. I just had an appointment the day before and my cervical length was great so he didn't see the need for me to be seen again at the moment unless I felt I needed to.

I really just think I twinged my back in some way and maybe that caused some contracting causing the abdomen pain. Today only my lower back feels dull and achy (as it did when I hurt it in 2006) and I don't have pain in my abdomen. I really didn't think I was having contractions either, until I read exactly what they were and how to monitor them and I was in fact having some. (This early in pregnancy you can't feel pain with contractions.) So today I am doing much better and won't have to stay in bed all day. This was really a wake up call for me. I have stopped doing lots of things but there are still times that I do things that I probably shouldn't, such as laundry. So as guilty as I feel for having my aunt and grandma clean my house once a week, and now my mother-in-law coming up to do laundry, and I'm sure plenty more help where that came from, I need to get over it and accept the fact that I just need to take it easy. I don't want to be in bed for the rest of my pregnancy (although I know it will happen, this is just too soon). It is not worth it for the sake of our children for me to think "oh that's ok, I can handle that". I need to "just say no"! These boys need to stay inside me for as long as they can and I'm not going to take any chances of them wanting to come early. So from here on out, it's lazy Misti. I will make up for it when the boys arrive!

I know all we have to do is ask for help and it would be there from someone. So thanks to everyone who has helped so far and thanks to all of you that will have to help in the future. We are so grateful to have such a good support system.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're feeling better! I know you still probably don't want to ask but I am here to help too. Even if it's just to help instruct Dale on how to give you a backrub!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Misti just call and we will be over to do whatever it is you need. Just take it easy. I want to be able to kiss all those mircle babies but not to soon. I was thinking after they arrive and you feel up to it we should take all four Weber Boy Miricles to Dr. Wilbois's office and have their pictures taken with them. That is a long way away but would be fun. Take care of that precious cargo.

    ReplyDelete