Will, Levi and Max

Will, Levi and Max
Photo by http://ashleysportraits.com/

Thursday, March 26, 2009

An unplanned visit to the doctor turned into another hospital stay.

After our appointment last Thursday I felt a pretty bad pain low in my abdomen. It came and went but I also had continuous pelvic pressure. On Friday I called my doctor's office just to see if this was something normal and they wanted me to take Motrin for 24 hours then call if it did not get better. Saturday morning I still felt the pressure and debated on calling the exchange, but by the afternoon I felt great. By Sunday afternoon I was having pressure again and felt the pain with contractions quite often. I took a terbutaline and we decided we would call the office first thing Monday morning as we thought my pessary was flat and that's what was causing the pain.
I called the office and my Nurse Practitioner told me to come in and she would fix the pessary and check me out really quickly to make sure nothing else was going on. Well, my cervix was opening (it is so small that they are calling it closed, but it was a definite change from Thursday's visit) and I was contracting a lot, so she talked to my doctor and down to labor and delivery I went for monitoring. Good news is I finally saw MY doctor, but not under the circumstances I wanted. After he examined me he didn't think it was as bad as he expected and wanted to try some different medications and keep monitoring me for a few days in hope that I would get to go home. He came back at about 11:00 p.m. and I was contracting a lot even with the new meds so we had to increase the contraction medications. With the increase in meds I stayed pretty quiet on Tuesday and he moved my ultrasound appointment in his office to Wednesday. The ultrasound actually went really well. My cervix is staying close to the 2.5 mark and the opening did not change. The babies were very well. My doctor said they should weigh about 2.3 pounds. Well Baby A weighed 2.66 pounds, Baby B weighed 2.76 pounds and Baby C weighed 2.56 pounds. We were very excited about their weights.
We went back down to my hospital room and my doctor came in a few hours later. He said he felt comfortable with me going home with the increased meds as long as I felt comfortable being home. Of course I do, but I asked him several questions so I have a better grasp of when I need to call or come back in to the hospital. He said he wouldn't send me home if he thought I had a big threat of delivery. He also decided that I didn't need steroids yet (for the babies lung development) and still says I will make it to the 33-34 week mark. This was great to hear and I feel much more comfortable now. (Not that I am the slightest bit comfortable, but comfortable with the babies outcomes!!!)
I came home yesterday afternoon and hopefully can stay here for at least a few more weeks. My doctor said that women usually hit their breaking point after being in the hospital for a month and then want to deliver even though it is still early. So he really wanted me to be home for as long as I could. So the past few days have been tough, but I feel pretty good about making it 5-6 more weeks and especially feel good that MY doctor saw me twice a day for the duration I was in the hospital. It was very reassuring knowing where he stands on my situation.
Also while in the hospital a neonatologist came in to go over with me what to expect with the babies health and care after birth. It was very overwhelming, but it is good to know what to expect. Hopefully after our appointment next Thursday we will be able to take a tour of the NICU so we can actually see what all those things will be that will be hooked up to our boys. I don't think you can ever really prepare yourself for seeing your baby hooked up on all sorts of tubes and monitors, but we want to prepare ourselves as best as we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment