So I woke up this morning with some stomach cramping and that in turn caused frequent contractions. It still hadn't gone away around 11:30 a.m. so I decided to call my doctor's office. The Nurse Practitioner that I normally speak to was leaving because she had a sick child so she had me come into labor and delivery to get evaluated rather than come into the office. After arriving I was hooked to the contraction monitor and was having quite a bit of contracting. An exam showed I had some slight pressure on my cervix, but they did not feel any big change (that is a very good thing). I received a shot of terbutaline and after about an hour the contractions, though not near as strong, started again. I received another shot of the terbutaline and was able to be discharged home. I was given a prescription for the medicine in oral form with instruction to take it when I felt cramping like I did this morning since that is the type of cramping that brought me into the hospital the two previous times. I always feel like I'm being paranoid when I call, but after the three trips I realize that I know when something just isn't right. It has been three and a half weeks since I was last in the hospital so something must be going right. The doctor told me that I have probably just been doing to much and that's what triggered this episode. He said that I really need to lay down more and be careful of how much I do and to avoid any kind of stress.
So this was not what I expected for my day today, but I didn't have to stay and hopefully I can manage this at home and not have a need to go to the hospital again until I deliver. I told the staff that I don't want to see them again for another 9 weeks and they said they don't want to see me either! Hopefully now that I have a good grasp of what is happening, we can get this under control with more rest, less stress and as a last resort the medication. I will have another update after my appointment on Thursday.
No comments:
Post a Comment